Airport History

The airport's military history began when the Tifton Army Air Base was completed in 1943 as an auxiliary of Spence Field. The 442nd Advanced Flying Training Squadron used the field to train pilots in P-38, P-39, and P-40 fighter aircraft. During the airport's military use it even housed German POWs for a period of time. The airport was deeded to the City of Tifton after WWII.

Henry Tift Myers, Sr.

The namesake of the airport is a local man that achieved notoriety as the first presidential pilot. Myers piloted a Douglas VC-54C nicknamed the "Sacred Cow" for President Harry Truman. Myers flew more than 35,000 hours and visited 56 countries, setting numerous aviation firsts and records in the process. Among a few of his accomplishments, he held the US transcontinental speed record for 10 years, was first to fly non-stop from London to Washington, D.C., and was first to fly around the world at the equator.

| Home | Services | Maintenance | Facilities | About Us | Contact Us |

About Walker Aviation

Walker Aviation has operated in Tifton since January of 2000.  We are members of NBAA and NATA.  We are happy to serve your aviation needs.

 

Walker Aviation, Inc.  Henry Tift Myers Airport (TMA)  Tifton, Georgia 31794